?

Log in

A Strange Blend Of Shyness, Pride, And Conceit,

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> previous 10 entries
> next 10 entries

March 23rd, 2011


07:46 pm - Have to laugh...or is it Loff? LoL
Well, I was always told I had a atrange accent. But, I claim CHICAGO as home, so that may count for some of it. But, NEW YORK? Come on now...

</form>
What American accent do you have?
Created by Xavier on Memegen.net

Northern. Whether you have the world famous Inland North accent of the Great Lakes area, or the radio-friendly sound of upstate NY and western New England, your accent is what used to set the standard for American English pronunciation (not much anymore now that the Inland North sounds like it does).

If you are not from the North, you are probably one of the following:
(a) A Southerner who hates Southern accents and tries really hard to "talk right"; or
(b) A New Yorker or New Jerseyan who doesn't have the full accent

Take this quiz now - it's easy!
We're going to start with "cot" and "caught." When you say those words do they sound the same or different?




(Leave a comment)

March 12th, 2011


03:09 pm - The Rainbow Connection
I may have posted this on here, but I am old, so please forgive me if I have. I love this movie and the song. It takes me back several years when life seemed more innocent, because it was.

I sang this song in 6th grade choir and everytime I hear it, I think of that time. A time when my only worry was whether or not Jason Dvorsak liked me or if I could ever hope to be as pretty as Kori Taylor (and I tried). Life was so much easier when you're 11. And, sadly, I don't think any of us realize it until we're 27 years out.

Anyhow, here is the opening scene to one of the BEST MOVIES EVER! :)

Without further ado, Kermit the Frog singing "THE RAINBOW CONNECTION" from The Muppet Movie:



I think that this song is why I love rainbows like I do. I keep hoping that the Rainbow Connection to everything will happen. But, I like to think that we've already solved the Rainbow Connection. ;)
Current Location: MY House
Current Mood: nostalgicnostalgic
Current Music: THE RAINBOW CONNECTION by Kermit the Frog

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

March 11th, 2011


01:31 am - Writer's Block: I wanna be just like you
Was there ever a fictional character who you admired so much that you strived to be like him or her?


I may have already answered this, but since I think it is such an interesting question, I'm going to answer it. Again, if the case may be.

But, growing up, I used to wish I was Anne Shirley. Her imagination and having Gilbert Blythe fall in love with her. How romantic. She had no idea that the handsome young man was in love with her and she didn't know how much she loved him until it was almost too late. *Le sigh*

Plus, she lived on PEI, a romatic place to live, and she grew up in the 1870s/1880s, a time I have often romanticized - or as my parents said - overromanticized.

But, there ya go. :)

(Leave a comment)

March 5th, 2011


09:59 am - Real Life and the NFL Lockout.
I know I haven't been on here much because real life is stepping in the way right now. Still unemployed and looking for work. My grandfather had surgery on Weds and is still in the hospital.

And, it's more and more likely there'll be decertification of the NFL union and a lockout, which means no season. At least there's still the draft.

Teams can't do anything except draft. They can't sign a free agent. They can't talk to a free agent. And the players can't practice.

And what does a lockout mean? Simply put: loss of revenue for NFL cities and for TV stations in NON NFL cities who show the game. Here's a detailed list of what this lockout means and is about (if you're interested. I had to post this because I'm so frustrated with the owners right now!):

This lockout is about the owners taking more than just the game away from fans.Collapse )

My personal opinion is that the NFL owners could learn something from the military. There are FAR MORE retired, medically retired personnell from the military then there ever will be from the NFL and yet, despite not having the BILLIONS of dollars that the NFL has, the military has found a way to keep healthcare for all retired personnell, spouse, and children (until age 18 or 21, depending on if the children are students or not). If the military can do that, why can't the NFL?

And, if that is what the lockout is about, what isn't it about? This:

This lockout is NOT about players wanting more.Collapse )

Thanks to NFLLOCKOUT.COM for this information. Go there and sign the petiion if you're a football fan wanting more information and to sign the petition. We only have a week left before we find out what's going to happen.

But, I say: Owners - STFU! None of you have to strap on the pads and go out and play the game for 3 hours. None of you have suffered the consequences of being tackled or tackling. You want an 18 game season? Yeah. I'd like that too, but I'd rather see Sam Bradford play for 11 or 12 years, not retire after only 3 because he's so hurt. Football is one of, if not the one, hardest sports anyone can play physically. There are times I look at how these guys are hit and am amazed they've been able to stand back up. It's a violent sport and it needs to be treated that way.

If you're going to do an 18 game season, meet the players 95% of the way. Protect your players, not your assests. Because, honestly, the players ARE your assests. Fans don't go to football games just because the stadiums cool.

Look. In 1989 and 1990, I went to the Gator Bowl to see the Dolphins play the Oilers and the Bucs play the Pats. The Gator Bowl isn't anything to write home about. Never has been. Never will be. I don't remember a damn thing about the stadium, but I remember seeing Dan Marino play. I remember that seeing some of the best plays I've ever seen. I remember feeling an excitement that only comes from seeing football played live.

If you were so concerned about money, then why build stadiums you didn't need to? I think the Eagles were one of only two or three that ACTUALLY NEEDED a new stadium. Sure, they're nice, but if you're so concerned about money, why build them in the first place?

Listen. The fans don't care if the season's 18 games or 16. We love our sport and want to see it.

Let the players play. They're willing to sacrifice, so why aren't the owners?
Current Mood: angryangry
Tags:

(Leave a comment)

February 23rd, 2011


11:09 pm - I Wasn't Meant For Anything Else
When I was a little girl, I held one thing in mind: I wasn't meant to be anything except a wife and a mother. I still hold to that.

As I approach my 40s, I realize I'm neither.

Of course, I always thought I'd be the wife of one of three professions: Major League Baseball, National Football League, or the military.

They honestly are the only professions I can see myself being married to. But, I'm just...I don't know. I've never been the one the guys saw as anything other than "One of the boys". No matter how many skirts I wore or how often I did my hair and makeup and did "girlie" things, they never saw me as a girl.

Sure, I was always up for a pick up game. You could usually find me out playing with the boys. Basketball. Baseball. Football. Soccer. I was always dirty, playing with the boys. But then again, isn't mud good for the skin? It would explain why I had such great skin in high school. haha

I don't blame the boys or men for not liking me as a girl. I never really gave them the chance to see me as one. My dad always said that he had two sons. One of them just happened to be born with boobs. And he wasn't talking about my brother! :)

I tried doing the "girlie - girl" thing to no avail. Some dude who'd only known me a couple months knew it wasn't me.

Plus, I tended to push people, mostly guys, away. I never wanted to be the only person in someone's life and I was afraid of that happening. Plus, seeing my aunt get abused physically and emotionally, made it hard for me to trust men. And topped with my own experiences.

I'm not complaining by any means. And I know someone who has stalked my LJ may think that, but I'm not. I'm just really saying.

While I may not understand fully why the men don't come around, I've gotten used to it.

Most men don't like their women as intense as I can be. You don't play sports for as long as I have and not have that intensity. Do I overdo it? Yes. I always say that you can't just look at the balance beam with an attitude of "Bleh". It needs to be attacked; to be owned.

Plus, I've had to prove myself over and over and over again. And, to few people's surprises, I'm very passionate. My intensity stems from that.

What guy wants that? I know I wouldn't if I were a guy.

But, I can't be a wife of any other profession and none of those professions would or could handle me.
Current Location: Sam Bradford Fantasyland
Current Mood: calmcalm
Current Music: Spike TV
Tags:

(Leave a comment)

04:22 pm - UGH! Tired of Cry Baby Brady.
Please DO NOT put Brady in the same category as Montana. Brady is NO WHERE NEAR being the "Joe Montana of his era. Because, let's be honest here, Joe Montana NEVER NEEDED to CHEAT to win. Even though, as much as it pains me to say it, Brady does have some good numbers, how much of those numbers can be put down to real natural talent and how much can be put down to the fact that he has a great O-line?

Cassel did well with that same O-line when Brady went down and yet you won't say Matt Cassel is a HoF'er.

It is unfair to Joe Montana, who is the BEST QB OF ALL TIME, to compare Brady to him. Brady isn't good enough to lick the bottom of Montana's cleats.
Current Mood: annoyedannoyed

(Leave a comment)

02:43 pm - Writer's Block: The kindness of strangers
If someone insults you when you're walking down the street, what do you do?


I simply ignore them.

(Leave a comment)

February 19th, 2011


01:39 pm - Kenny Chesney and THE BOYS OF FALL
So, I'm sitting here, watching Kenny Chesney's "Making of The Boys of Fall". First off, can I say how sexy Kenny Chesney is, even bald? He's just...UGH! I ♥ him. Really.

But, that's not the point of this entry.

It just reminds me of how much fun boys get to have. I would have given anything to be able to play in real games, not just in backyard brawl games. I love LOVE LOVE football. Okay, like I've stated, I don't know what a Zebra left naked gorilla up the savanna through the lion's mouth out the gazelle's ass triple start h formation is (I don't even know if that's a real play!), but I know the game enough to watch and to love the game tremendously.

They talk about how it touches lives. Football does. I have such warm lovely memories whenever I think of football. There's just something about football that brings me an odd sense of comfort. It's familiar. It's safety. It's memories. It's life.

This is a hard time right now. The season has ended and, unless there's an agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA, there may not be a season. It's in limbo right now and it's making fans crazy. I'm sure the players and owners as well, but think about your favorite sport (if you have one) and what it would feel like if there was a lock out. That is a very real possibility with football right now.

We may not have a season.

And that saddens me. My fall revolves around Sunday afternoons and Monday nights. And now, with the advent of the Thursday night game, it revolves around Thursday night as well. I don't want that taken away. Sure, I enjoy baseball and the crack of the ball hitting the bat. I enjoy watching the great hits and amazing catches. But, it's nothing like watching the hits that the defensive players lay out on the offensive players. Great catches and even better runs.

I love football. Where else are you going to see this:



Or the greatest (yet most disturbing hit) of all reminding us of how truly violent football can be:

(the quality isn't the best, but it looks like he recorded it for youtube from an old video tape.

I'm going to put it behind a cut, so you have the opportunity to put your food down before you watch it.Collapse )

I remember watching that game, and you could actually hear the break. It was so disgusting and so sad. But, it serves as a reminder how violent my favorite sport is. Fortunately, this happened only once in the pros. Unless, of course, you count Tony Romo's broken collarbone. But, that didn't end Romo's career the way that this hit ended Joe Theismann's career.

But, I still love football and would play it if given the chance. If I ever am lucky enough to have children, my sons will play football. It builds character and teaches you a lot of life. Joe Namath said this:

"Football lessons we learn as kids and all continue to apply through the rest of your life. Life is a team game. It's the big game."

True story, Broadway Joe. True story.

x-posted to sportsfantasies
Current Location: Jay Cutler Fantasyland
Current Mood: goodgood
Current Music: THE BOYS OF FALL by Kenny Chesney

(Leave a comment)

February 18th, 2011


07:47 pm - New Concept To My Journal
I have a totally awesome LJ friend amyofaquitaine who LOVES hockey the way that I love football. I'll admit she may actually know more about hockey than I do about football, but, I do know football.

Anyhow, why do I mention her?

Because I think that I may follow her example and post some entries on football...like the one or two I already have...and not apologize for it.

I love her hockey entries, even if I don't comment on them, because it shows how much she appreciates the game first and the guys second.

Any woman will tell you that she loves gorgeous men. Sometimes those gorgeous men happen to be professional sports players.

I'd notice Jay Cutler (my icon dude!) if he was walking down the street and he wasn't the starting QB for the Bears. Guy is GORGEOUS! And Sam Bradford from the St. Louis Rams? He's young (like 24) but gorgeous none the less.

I saw Chipper Jones well before he played professional baseball and he was gorgeous back then.

amyofaquitaine said this in her journal: "Just because I find a player attractive does NOT mean that I don't know JACK SHIT about the game." I couldn't agree more.

Okay, I'll concede that I don't as much as Sam Bradford or Ndamukong Suh do about the game. But, I do know enough. I don't know if amyofaquitaine played hockey. I do know, however, that as I was growing up, young girls didn't play football or hockey. Too violent and...get this!...sexual for girls to play. So, I never got the shot to understand everything about the game I love, live, and breathe.

However, I am going to follow suit and post some pic spams about some of my favorite (and gorgeous!) players from the NFL and blog about it.

Like it? Awesome!

Don't like it? Suck it.
Current Location: My Living Room
Current Mood: determineddetermined
Current Music: RAINBOW CONNECTION by Kermit the Frog (THE MUPPETS MOVIE)
Tags:

(2 comments | Leave a comment)

05:18 pm - OMG!
So, just out of fun, I decided to see if one of my old high school buddies were on the web, and found out he was! I was shocked to see how much he had changed! I knew he would have. I mean, after all, he is going to be 38 this year, but he looks a little older and a lot more rough.

He's working at Jacksonville University as the Defensive Coordinator and I knew he'd end up working in some capacity with football.

I don't have a pic to share of him in high school. And right now, as I'm on my friend's laptop, I don't have his pic on here either.

When I do, I'll try to post both, if I can find one of him in high school. He was so hot in high school. Now, he's okay. Not the dream boat I thought he'd be. Not that he's completely ugly. He's just not looking how I thought he'd look.

Just finally got the idea that I'm old. :(

(Leave a comment)

> previous 10 entries
> next 10 entries
> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com